Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Advent Calendar


Las night I was talking to my very special friend Yesenia (Broken2Beyoutiful) about how I felt the need of having Christ completely in my life.  To be honest, there are times where I feel empty and I know He's calling me so that I can give Him my all.  I've been following different bloggers because in a certain way they inspire me.  And today Darci from The Good Life Blog wrote about the Advent Calendar.  Now, if you're like me; I have to admit I did not know what Advent meant, so I started to do my research on my best friend Google lol.  For those of you that do not know what it means here's the definition:

Advent, is a time of preparation for the coming of Christ at Christmas.  It was historically known as “little Lent”, because Lent, is a time of repentance, with prayer, fasting and confession.   Advent begins four Sundays before Christmas (Sunday, December 1, 2013), and is 24 days long. 

It can be done by a variety of ways such as Advent Calendars, singing songs, reading a daily devotional about Christmas, etc. It is just basically anything that can celebrate the actual meaning of Christmas which is the birth of Jesus.

Each year I have been expecting Christmas, but for the wrong reasons.  I wanted the party, the dancing, the family reunions, the gifts.  Everything that didn’t have a true significance of the “holiday”. 

Anyway, for the first time, I want to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas with my husband.  So, I downloaded a daily reading for advent called “Good News of Great Joy” by John Piper.  We will use this Devotional along with praying.  Since like I mentioned I was suppose to begin last Sunday, tonight I will be covering for the days I didn’t do.  And I will be taking the devotional with me during our vacations.  
 
Like I said at the beginning of this post, my heart desires to be closer to Christ.  This does not mean I’m changing the person I am, because I’m not.  But we sure are going to start some modifications in our lives and in our marriage.  My faith has never been strong, I have been dealing with this issue for years now, but I feel this is my time.  And we both want to build a spiritual foundation in our marriage.  

So please share with me how you celebrate the Advent!!!


 photo MelSignature_zps8dfc1870.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! I am going to download the Good News of Great Joy, as well. I had been looking for something just like this to follow along during the Advent. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the advent of this season is about Christ and so often we forget. I am doing the good morning girls advent study to help my heart focus more on Christ. Though we will still partake in the festivities I want to remember who it's all about. I love what you are doing with your marriage. God will honor you for honoring him.

    ReplyDelete