Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Advent Calendar


Las night I was talking to my very special friend Yesenia (Broken2Beyoutiful) about how I felt the need of having Christ completely in my life.  To be honest, there are times where I feel empty and I know He's calling me so that I can give Him my all.  I've been following different bloggers because in a certain way they inspire me.  And today Darci from The Good Life Blog wrote about the Advent Calendar.  Now, if you're like me; I have to admit I did not know what Advent meant, so I started to do my research on my best friend Google lol.  For those of you that do not know what it means here's the definition:

Advent, is a time of preparation for the coming of Christ at Christmas.  It was historically known as “little Lent”, because Lent, is a time of repentance, with prayer, fasting and confession.   Advent begins four Sundays before Christmas (Sunday, December 1, 2013), and is 24 days long. 

It can be done by a variety of ways such as Advent Calendars, singing songs, reading a daily devotional about Christmas, etc. It is just basically anything that can celebrate the actual meaning of Christmas which is the birth of Jesus.

Each year I have been expecting Christmas, but for the wrong reasons.  I wanted the party, the dancing, the family reunions, the gifts.  Everything that didn’t have a true significance of the “holiday”. 

Anyway, for the first time, I want to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas with my husband.  So, I downloaded a daily reading for advent called “Good News of Great Joy” by John Piper.  We will use this Devotional along with praying.  Since like I mentioned I was suppose to begin last Sunday, tonight I will be covering for the days I didn’t do.  And I will be taking the devotional with me during our vacations.  
 
Like I said at the beginning of this post, my heart desires to be closer to Christ.  This does not mean I’m changing the person I am, because I’m not.  But we sure are going to start some modifications in our lives and in our marriage.  My faith has never been strong, I have been dealing with this issue for years now, but I feel this is my time.  And we both want to build a spiritual foundation in our marriage.  

So please share with me how you celebrate the Advent!!!


 photo MelSignature_zps8dfc1870.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! I am going to download the Good News of Great Joy, as well. I had been looking for something just like this to follow along during the Advent. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I'm glad I helped you out :)

      Delete
  2. Yes the advent of this season is about Christ and so often we forget. I am doing the good morning girls advent study to help my heart focus more on Christ. Though we will still partake in the festivities I want to remember who it's all about. I love what you are doing with your marriage. God will honor you for honoring him.

    ReplyDelete