Thursday, October 2, 2014

Hispanic Heritage Month



Each year, Americans observe National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating the histories, cultures and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America.  Being Puerto Rican we celebrate Columbus Day or Día de la Raza which is celebrated the second Monday of October. 

Although I was born in Brooklyn, New York; I consider myself to be fully Puerto Rican.  Being latina is more than just saying that I’m Puerto Rican, it’s my heritage, my island, my culture;  I just wanted to show you a little piece of where I am in pictures. 

Bomba y Plena: are defining musical sounds of the Afro-Puerto Rican population.

 Noche de San Juan (The Night of Fire) is a festival celebrated on June 23rd, a magical night that welcomes the summer season.  Myth is that at midnight you swim in the ocean to purify your soul.  Best part is the parties during the night at the beach. 

 Just look at this beautiful beach

Arroz con Dulce (Coconut Rice Pudding) - This dessert is typically made during Christmas.  It is made out of rice, coconut milk, cinnamon and raisins and it is to die for.

Puerto Rican Artisans

And here's a picture of my grandfather Ploughing with a team of Oxens.  Today is his 7th Anniversary since he passed away.  This is one of my favorite pictures of him.   

And lets not forget our famous actors and singers: JLo, Marc Anthony, Benicio del Toro, Zoe Saldana, Ricky Martin, Roselyn Sanchez & Luis Guzman.  Their are many more just mentions a couple.


post signature

1 comment:

  1. And pasteles! I can't wait for Christmas to have them and some coquito!

    ReplyDelete